With our 71st Independence Day just around the corner, it’s imperative to know a little bit about what makes our country so amazing. For instance, did you know that ‘India’ was derived from ‘Indus’? We bet you didn’t! Caste, creed and numerous religions come together in harmony to celebrate your amazing country that is India.
That said, read on to find out some more astounding facts and trivia about India this Independence Day!
- Wondering if this was the same flag that we know today – it’s not! Here’s how it tooked in 1906 :
- Though we have been invaded a number of times, it is interesting to note that India has not invaded any country in the last 1,00000 years! Now that is a long time!
- Did you know that Korea, Bahrain and Liechtenstein also share their independence day with India on this day?
- The National Anthem was actually written by Rabindranath Tagore to pay homage to King George V. Later, Jawaharlal Nehru chose Jana Gana Mana over Vande Mataram as our National Anthem as he thought it would be easier for the band to play.
- Khadi was brought into existence in 1915 by Mahatma Gandhi so as to boycott British goods. Soon word spread, and handwoven khadi became more and more popular. To this date, natural fabrics much like ours at Cotton Fabric are in vogue.
- Here’s another amazing fact: Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru was featured in Vogue for his unique dressing style and his single breasted jacket which would later come to be known as the ‘Nehru Jacket’. It was later also adopted by international celebrities like The Beatles.
Now that’s something cool!
Go spread the trivia and Happy Independence Day to you!